Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Sean Avery Checklist

Will Sean Avery sign with the team that gives him the most money?

Check.

Would Avery prefer to be in or near a major American city?

Check.

Would he really prefer to be a short limo ride away from the fashion-show runways?

Check.

Does he have a recent history of making his team better?

Check.

Could he be a lightning rod for a team without a storyline?

Check.

Is he the rare NHL player that stirs emotions and shocks hearts - one way or the other?

Check.

Is Avery the extremely rare NHL player who could move tickets and merchandise?

Check.

Could he actually move newspaper editors to say, "You know, we should probably go cover that Gong Show"?

Check.

Does it look like Sean Avery, only 28 years old, is going to be available to sign with any of the 30 NHL teams starting Tuesday and it won't cost them a player or a draft pick?

Check.

Do I think the Islanders are going to sign Sean Avery?

Probably not.

Do I think they should at least "drop a few lines in the water."

Yep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Over 40pts ever?

nope

over a 12 +/-?

nope

Racist?

Check

Dirty Player?

Check

Coming off an injury?

Check

Burned Bridges?

Double Check

Anonymous said...

I'd take him. We need something to have fun at the games with. If Garth really makes no moves, or none of any real importance, I will have no reason to go to the games other then avoiding the shame of telling my wife that I did pay for the next 2 years of seasons tickets but do not really want to go anymore to watch them get their asses handed to them every night.

They should sign Avery and a heavyweight to protect him and the kids, who would also get run when Avery gets going. I was not a huge Goddard fan, but Avery can't drop with an Orr or a Brasheer type. Plus, I never want to see Comrie or Guerrin dropping the gloves again. It was embarrassing for our top 2 scorers to be forced to protect this team.

I don't mind rebuilding (I did not complain too loudly and did not give up my seasons in the late 90s) but at least keep it interesting for the fans. Avery would keep in interesting.