Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Ted would never pull an OK State, I hope

On the eve of the Islanders leaving for Buffalo, a few random notes and observations:




  • Chris Simon spent an hour before practice Wednesday morning taking part in a photo shoot with a major New York photographer for a major weekly magazine. Si and I spoke before the shoot about how the photog must have been given the assignment of making him look tough. Si did his best to sabotage those plans by grinning wider than Bruno Gervais for the first ten minutes of the shoot. I was laughing so hard, I had to leave the area. They also took some real nice shots of Si with his mentor, Ted Nolan. I hope they use those. They came out fantastic.




  • Fans can expect a reminder website story and Islanders Insider in the next day or so for Loudville, the team's new student discount program. For just 10 bills, you get into the game and all you have to do is try to be the loudest fans in the barn. From what I understand, the team has set aside Loudville tickets for Opening Night on Saturday even though the game will sell out. Tix go on sale at 6:00 pm, but students should get there early. $10 seats will also be available for the Kids Opening Day on Monday against Washington.




  • Everyone has their take on the Oklahoma State football coach going wacko on the reporter at a press conference ten days ago, so here's one from a team PR guy. At the beginning of each season, I present a 3-page document to our head coach of suggested media dos and don'ts. Near the top of my list of don'ts is calling out a reporter for a story you don't like in front of a group. My advice is to do it one-on-one. Now, of course, this is often met with a reaction from coaches and players of, "The writer embarrassed me in front of thousands of people in his paper," and I understand that. Still, I don't believe that is the way to go. And I would submit that if the OK State coach or any coach is so desperate to fire up his team that he has to put on a freak show at a press conference, he's looking the wrong way.

  • Tonight the Islanders had a staff-team event in Bayville to kick off the season. The families of every player and staffer were there. The setting was gorgeous. The game ops crew debuted a video by my colleague Suzi Schopp and the staff at Islanders TV that was inspiring, to say the least. The players all had fun introducing each other. And to end the night, there was a fireworks show. As Ted Nolan told the crowd of more than 200: "I've been around the game a long time, and no one puts together an event where we can all be a family like Charles does." Bill Guerin, Mike Comrie and all the new guys no doubt agree.

No comments: