Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Why it's always a privilege

I'm just about to leave the Coliseum tonight when something just hit me that I had to get out.

On Saturday night, the Islanders went above-and-beyond in acknowledging my 20th anniversary with the franchise. Thank you to Charles, Garth, Chris Dey, Art McCarthy, Tim Beach, Corey Witt and everyone involved in what was an incredible surprise. Even as I look at the Rolex on my left wrist and the No. 20 jersey in my office, I still can't believe it happened.

Since Saturday I've received a lot of lovely congratulations followed by the inevitable, "How do you do it"? and "What keeps you going?" and "Does it ever get ho-hum"?

The answers to those questions are easy. Then you have a moment like the last three minutes of tonight's game.

How about the heroic shot-blocking on that 4-on-3 penalty kill? Dubie's miraculous play with a giant standing in front of him? Richard Park's determination and Mike Comrie's finish?

From now on when I'm asked those questions, I'll just show them the tape of the final moments of Islanders 4 Leafs 3 (OT) on December 26, 2007.

No comments: